Monday, 3 August 2009
Brian Coleman on holiday
I hear that Brian Coleman is on holiday.
Certainly, he could do with the break after the recent avalanche of negative press he's received. Just in the last month, he's been:
* Censured by the LFEPA for unlawfully making up the (un)democratic process as he goes along.
* Lambasted by the London Assembly Audit Panel over his abuses of the expenses system
* Found out by The Barnet Eye for apparently 'flipping' his expenses
* Caught out awarding a multi-million pound contract to a company which treated him to free food and a Harvey Nichols hamper
* Facing a misconduct hearing at Barnet Council (this blog awaits the results with interest).
* Shouted at by Boris Johnson who forced him, in an embarrassing climbdown, to reveal his 'ridiculous' expenses
* Publicly rebuked by members of his own party, notably here and here and here and (very pointedly) here.
Things have got so bad, that he's now refusing to answer the phone to journalists.
Yes, Mr Toad could certainly do with a break. And he's not the only one!
But the big question for Boris Johnson and the Conservatives has been this: Where can Coleman be sent where he's sufficiently remote to do little damage and, in these times of spin, where he can start to rebuild his political reputation?
It would need to be a place where there was another figure, more foolish, more prone to embarrassing gaffes and a bigger bully. It'll need to be somewhere with plenty of food of course.....
Ah! Got it!
Incidentally, I checked Addison Lee's website for a taxi quote between London N3 and sunny Torquay. Its £579.10 each way. So don't try it Coleman. We'll be watching!